Just when you thought it was safe to go out to a ball game, some over-eager yabbo with nothing better to do gives us this…
Yesterday, the American Academy of Pediatrics released a policy statement on Prevention of Choking Among Children (PDF). A laudable goal, no doubt. One particular recommendation found in the report, though, has got the American public’s hackles up. The kiddie docs identified the hot dog as the food on which little Billy is most likely to choke and die. This is because of their “cylindrical, airway sized, and compressible” nature. And you thought Dan Aykroyd made them sound unappealing.
For a link to the video, go here
Seriously, though sometimes you just have to wonder how any of us made it as far as we have without killing ourselves because we didn’t know that the stove was hot, we need to cross at the light, and knives are sharp. Personally, I’m with the guy on the street being interviewed who says, “You know what parents are going to learn what to do? They are going to have to learn how to watch their kids.”
As an infant, my daughter chocked on a McDonald’s french fry. I was paying attention and solved the problem, I didn’t go out on a quest to change the shape of the way fries are made.